This guilt-free hot chocolate is a little different than the traditional classic. Adding either chaga root powder OR Maca powder OR Ashwagandha powder gives it an immune boosting punch. You can also top it with a delicious coconut whipped cream since it ‘tis the season!
1 cup almond or cashew or oat milk
1 cup water
2 Tbsp. cocoa powder
1 tsp. Chaga OR Maca OR Ashwagandha powder (optional)
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
Maple syrup to taste (I used 1 1/2 Tbsp.)
Whipped Cream Ingredients
1 can full fat milk (chilled)
¼ cup icing or coconut sugar
Directions for Hot Chocolate
- In a saucepan add almond/cashew/oat milk and water. Bring to a simmer.
- Add cocoa powder, chaga/Maca/Ashwaghanda powder (optional), ground cinnamon and maple syrup to taste.
- Stir to combine and heat until ready to serve. Strain through a fine mesh sieve, pour into cups and serve.
- Option to top with vegan coconut whipped cream (see below).
Directions for Whipped Cream
- Chill a large mixing bowl in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Remove chilled coconut milk from the fridge and scoop out the solid coconut cream, avoiding the coconut water at the bottom.
- Beat with mixer for 30 seconds, or until creamy.
- Add powdered sugar in batches, while mixing, until creamy and smooth
- Top the hot chocolate and enjoy!