Almost everyone these days is familiar with the bug repelling chemical DEET. This amazingly effective ingredient is in many commercial bug sprays and carries the potential risk of unpleasant side effects for humans.
It is no wonder many people are looking for healthier solutions and this has led to the development of many homemade insect repellents that actually work! Today, many feel that it is almost a crime to spray hazardous chemicals on your skin.
Here are 2 recipes for you to try so you can enjoy the outdoors this summer without feeling like you have to hide under a bug net.!
Vodka Surprise - Spray On Bug Repellent
- 2 tablespoons of either witch hazel or vodka, or 1 tablespoon of each
- 2 tablespoons of either almond oil, jojoba oil, neem oil, avocado oil, or a combination
- ½ teaspoon vodka if using only witch hazel
- 55 drops of lemon eucalyptus essential oil
- 15 drops of lavender oil essential oil
- 15 drops of cedarwood essential oil
- 15 drops of rosemary essential oil
- One 8 oz spray bottle
Mix everything except for the essential oils. Once the base is in, add the oils. Remember to shake well before use!
Great Smelling Insect Repellent – Spray-on
- 3-4 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 15 drops lavender essential oil
- 3-4 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- Distilled water
Combine all ingredients in the spray bottle of your choice, and shake. If you don’t want to purchase distilled water, simply boil water for the same effect or you can use RO water as well.