If you are looking for a Valentine’s Day recipe this is sure to win over anyone who tastes it. This is quite possibly one of the best recipes I’ve made in a while. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
3 tbsp olive oil
3 lbs Canadian Rangeland Bison chuck short ribs
Salt and pepper to taste
3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 Tbsp chili powder
3 cloves of garlic, chopped
2 stalks of celery, chopped
1 yellow onion, chopped
1/4 c tomato paste
3 c red wine (we recommend Cabernet sauvignon)
2 c beef stock
2 bay leaves
1-2 Tbsp raw honey
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
3 Tbsp dark chocolate chips
2 Tbsp salted butter
- Heat oven to 300F. Heat oil in a 8-qt Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Season bison ribs with salt and pepper, rub with cocoa powder and chili powder
- Working in batches, cook ribs, turning as needed, until browned, 8-10 minutes: transfer to plate
- Add garlic, celery, onion to pan, cook until soft, 6-8 minutes.
- Add tomato paste, cook 3 minutes
- Add wine; reduce by half, 4-6 minutes.
- Return bison ribs to pan and add stock, bay leaves, honey, Worcestershire, vinegar and cayenne, bring to a boil
- Cover and bake until bison is very tender, 2-2.5 hours
- Transfer bison ribs to plate and cover
- Place pan over medium high and add chocolate; simmer until liquid is reduced to 2 cups, 10-15 minutes, then strain into a bowl
- Stir in butter
- Serve bison ribs and sauce over mashed potatoes