Soup is the perfect food for January and this recipe is both super easy and super tasting.
Ensure you use lots of immune supporting garlic, onions and rosemary to help you prevent (or treat) any winter colds or flu.
- 3 medium chicken breasts or 4 boneless thighs
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon of dried and crushed rosemary
- 1 clove of garlic - chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 7 cups of chicken or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil (optional but recommended!)
- 2 1/2 cups of wide egg OR rice noodles
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: parsley for garnish
- In a slow cooker, combine the chicken, carrots, celery, onion, rosemary, garlic powder, slat, broth, and olive oil. Stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours.
- After that time passes, take out the chicken, shred/ chop it into bite size pieces, and add it back into the slow cooker. **Add the noodles as well and stir to combine. Cook for an additional 10-20 minutes checking for noodles to be done to your liking.
- Salt and pepper to taste, garnish with parsley and ENJOY!!
Immune supporting properties of various ingredients
Whole garlic contains a compound called alliin.
Allicin contains sulfur, which gives garlic its distinctive smell and taste. This has been shown to boost the disease-fighting response of some types of white blood cells in the body when they encounter viruses, such as the viruses that cause the common cold or flu
Onions are filled with immune-boosting nutrients like selenium, sulfur compounds, zinc, and vitamin C. Plus, they’re one of the best sources of quercetin, a potent flavonoid and antioxidant that has antiviral properties as well as histamine regulating effects—in fact, you can think of quercetin as a “natural antihistamine
The herb has been hailed since ancient times for its medicinal properties. Rosemary was traditionally used to help boost immune system, alleviate muscle pain, improve memory, boost the immune and circulatory system, and promote hair growth. It is a good source of iron, calcium and vitamin B6.