1. Practice out of sight, out of mind. If you are the type of person to prepare or bake foods far in advance, store them at the back of the freezer. The holidays are actually a few days, not an entire season.
2. Don't skip meals the day of a special celebration or gathering. The goal is never to get all dressed up and eat as much as you can when it's served.
3. Be mindful of snacking. If you are preparing the holiday meal, be aware of your snacking during the cooking and baking process. It's easy to eat an entire meal (while tasting) before even sitting down to your dinner.
4. Wear appropriately fitted clothing with a normal waist band. Elastic waist bands that prevent you from noticing if you are overeating really doesn't afford you the opportunity to listen to your body.
5. Use a small plate when enjoying appetizers or hor d'oeuvres. When you have a bite here and a bite there, your brain isn't able to process how much you are eating. If a plate isn't available, skip this course.
6. Practice safe drinking. Alcohol is a diuretic and will lead to dehydration. Make sure you have lots of water during the day and between each beverage. Consider having your beverage earlier in the day, as it can mess with your sleep wake cycle.
7. Serve food in the kitchen. This will allow you to select what you would like to eat and will prevent you from eating more just because it's there.
8. Moderate your food choices. If you do better just skipping desert, know that this is ok. If you are the type who feels deprived and will go home and eat dessert, you will find greater success just having a portion and enjoying it.
9. Be selective. Take what you will happily enjoy and what will make your body feel great. You don't owe anyone an explanation and you shouldn't worry about eating the wrong foods because you are worried about hurting someone's feelings.
10. Eat until you are 80% full and stop. Implement a ritual to remind yourself that eating is over. Excuse yourself to floss or rinse with mouthwash or have a mint or drink tea or hot water and lemon.