The thyroid gland needs some basic nutrients to function well. Zinc, Selenium and Iodine are all crucial for a healthy thyroid gland. This recipe is not only delicious, but it is a great source of thyroid supporting minerals as well.
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
2 cups slivered raw almonds
1 1/4 cup raw pecans
1 cup raw walnuts
1 cup raw Brazil nuts (high in Selenium)
3 Tbsp chia seeds
1 Tbsp flaxseed meal
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
⅓ c + 2 Tbsp honey
1/4 iodized salt (source of iodine)
2 Tbsp dulse flakes (source of iodine)
3 Tbsp coconut oil
1/4 cup dried blueberries
1/4 cup roasted unsalted pumpkin seeds (rich source of zinc)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (162 C) and position a rack in the center of the oven.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the coconut, nuts, chia seeds, flax seed, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a small saucepan over low heat, warm the coconut oil and maple syrup and pour over the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Spread the mixture evenly onto a large baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes. Then remove from the oven, add dried blueberries and roasted pumpkin seeds, and stir.
- Increase heat to 340 degrees F (171 C) and return to the oven for another 5-8 minutes, or until deep golden brown.
- The coconut oil will help this granola crisp up nicely, but be sure to watch it carefully as it browns quickly.
- Once the granola is visibly browned and done cooking (about 25 minutes total), remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- Store in a container with an air-tight seal, and it should keep for a few weeks (if it lasts that long!).